Thursday, June 27, 2013

Mi Familia es Loca

Family, you can’t live with em, you can’t kill em and you can’t trade em for new ones. I have a great little family that’s all mine. I have Derrick and together we have 4 kids; Evelyn who’s 9, Maverick who’s 6, Olivia who’s 3 and Savannah who’s 8 months. Now I wouldn’t trade my little family for the world or millions of dollars. But sometimes they do get on my nerves. Especially Olivia lately. She’s going through what we call the “Terrible Threes". Forget the liars that say it’s the Terrible Twos, no way, it’s three! Olivia is a screamer. She loves to scream for everything; when something is taken away, when she wins a game, when her favorite cartoon comes on the TV, everything. Now I don’t know about you, but having Bipolar, I have a sensitivity to loud noises and Olivia’s scream are piercing to say the least. 
I’m very close to my extended family, even though at times I want to strangle them or get a restraining order placed on them because they can be a bit smothering. But I love them and I love spending time with them, on MY terms. I don’t like people showing up at my door and expecting me to entertain them, no way. But a phone call for company or me calling them, inviting them to dinner, that I love. Some people don’t get the closeness I have with my grandparents and mother, but that’s okay, that’s for me. We can talk about anything, I can go to them for help and they’re always there when I need them. I think sometimes my husband gets jealous of how close my family and I are, mostly because his family is not really that affectionate and I feel really bad for him. I wish his parents and siblings were as close as I am to my family. I’ll tell you one thing though, my Father-in-Law’s family in Costa Rica are some of the sweetest and loving people you’ll ever meet. They are dream in-Laws to have, especially my Mother-in-Law, Ana, she’s constantly writing me asking me how I’m doing. She wants to know about ME, not about the kids or Derrick, but she genuinely cares about me as her daughter-in-law. 
I appreciate having a closeness with my family for the sake of my children. I want our girls to grow up having family that they can cherish as if they were best friends. I want them to carry on traditions that Derrick and I have celebrated for years together. I want Maverick to learn from his sisters how to respect a lady and the girls to learn to find a respectable man from witnessing their brother. I want my kids to grow up believing in God and his miracles. I want our kids to have a strong faith and belief that surpasses all possible doubt. I want our kids to be close and raise children together. I want lots of grandbabies in the future (the far, far future). I want the kids to celebrate holidays together and make plans for hanging out on random Tuesdays. I want the kids to take family photos annually. I want them to bond. I try to show all of that myself by having a relationship with my family. I want my kids to think it’s worth keeping in close contact to one another and their parents. I’d appreciate daily phone calls from them just to say, “Hey Mom, I love you."
I love my kids very much and they’re growing so big everyday. SO much so, it’s hard to keep up. Remembering their birth-dates is as hard as a Final Jeopardy question. They’re all three years apart and I think that’s a miracle and a blessing by God. Granted, all the kids were conceived on different forms of contraceptive, but they’re meant to be here for some reason. And part of me believes it’s God’s way of answering a prayer I had long ago when I was a child. “Lord, please bless me with lots of babies, so I can love them like a child is supposed to be loved. Amen." Only back then I wanted two girls and I wanted to name them Amanda Morgan and Destiny Ann Marie. Boy did things happen differently. I’d never change whom I had my children with, Derrick is the prime example of what a good father is. If I had a choice to do my life over again the way I wanted, I’d have a father just like Derrick. I’ve never met a man more loving, supportive, fun and creative with children. Another plus for him in the good dad department; he good to the kids’ mother and that is one of the BEST examples he could set for our kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment